- Prepare a budget. Find rough amounts for all costs and list potential sources of funding. See this document for a sample budget: Attach:CHI08Budget.xls Δ
- Apply for funding. See next section.
- Acquire a travel visa for the country if necessary. Foreign students may have problems here, so make sure you have (or are guaranteed) a visa before booking accommodations or a flight. Often the student will have to travel to a major Canadian city to acquire the visa in person, make sure this travel is included in the budget.
- Register for the conference. Do this early as there are often cheaper rates for early registration.
- Book accommodations early. The conference usually has preferred rates at a set of hotels but often they are still pricey. Look around at various Internet sites for hotel options.
- Book flight. This must be done through the University's travel agent and Pourang will usually have to do it.
- Research, and book if necessary, ground transportation. Look into shuttles from airport, taxi fees, etc.
There are several sources of funding from different agencies at the University of Manitoba.
- Graduate Students' Assoc - $350, one per year. http://www.umgsa.ca/docs/conference_grant_application_form.pdf
- Alumni Assoc - ~ $175, one per year. http://www.umanitoba.ca/alumni/media/2009_Form_Special_Events_pub.pdf
- Computer Science Department - $250. Talk to department head.
- Faculty of Science - $250. Faculty of Science will match department funds. Department head will write a letter for the dean.
- Faculty of Grad Studies - $500-$750 Once for Master's, twice for PhD. http://umanitoba.ca/faculties/graduate_studies/media/FGS_Travel_App.pdf
Note each award has different deadlines and requirements. They each require some combination of the following items:
- Completed application form
- Your CV/Resume
- Letter of support from advisor or department head
- One page abstract of paper being presented
- All transcripts. You can get a free academic history from Student Records. No need for official transcript from UofM.
- Proof of acceptance of paper.
- Cover letter describing why you need the funds.
- Waiver form - for FGS award.
Some awards (such as UMGSA) just write you a check with no need for receipts. Others require receipts. However, it is very important that you keep everything, including plane ticket stubs, i.e. boarding passes and miscellaneous receipts.